Thursday, May 14, 2009


Going Home

There are some things I am sure of when I go to Kenya and some that are in God's hands.Things are shaping nicely with the arrangements I have made with Francis and KMET. I've texted the teachers since I can't get them on their cell phones ( I truly don't understand that part of cyberspace). How it will all fall out...i.e. will people show up on the day planned, will the river overflow and be impossible to cross (highly likely given recent weather reports), will the plane land in Kisumu on the first swipe or go to Dar Es Salaam first...hmm don't know. However when we are at the end of the trip, when the plane heads from Mombasa to Nairobi I know it will be done.

The other thing I know is how to fool customs, hence the photo above. I have now been traveling enough to know that Kenyans are very embarrassed by anything having to do with sex, (though they fool around like crazy), so I always pack the contraband under mountains of condoms. Condoms make great packing material, they will cushion the laptops I have at the bottom and they will stop the customs agents dead in their track.

White people should not wear African clothing, but I always do on the flight over. When we sidle up to customs I great them either in Swahili, Luo or Luya (don't be impressed my vocabulary in each is quite limited). Then in a loud voice I tell them in English they should feel free to search my cases. I do however let them know I am an AIDS trainer and that there may be some things on the top of the suitcase they may want to shield from other travelers. It's so much fun to watch their eyes when they unzip the case. You honkeys out there probably don't know this but I can make the darkest African blush and I do. I am then rapidly waved on.

This time, as you know if you have been following the blog, I am traveling with B from my board. Now he isn't an AIDS trainer and we can't pull that twice. So what will we do in his case? Bibles, Bibles Bibles. They don't mess with missionaries either and though B is the farthest thing from one he can play one in this video. So we're goin' to Kenya. See Ya when we get back.

No comments: