Thursday, August 19, 2010

Passing the Torch


I sit here tonight thinking about the young board members who are about to embark for Kenya. I cannot know exactly what they will see, but I know it will change their lives. And I know that they in turn will change the world.

So often people come to me for so many reasons, and I cannot help but be totally grateful for all who enter my life now. I think of these intrepid young women, spending their own money, (and trust me it ain’t cheap) to be part of the first Breast Cancer walk in Kenya. How amazing is that! Part of me wishes I was going with them, but I know this is their trip. Dr. Seuss once wrote "Ah the places you will go". I suspect each of the women had that read to them growing up, but never thought it would go that far. They will see our schools and our micro-finance, they will meet the women and see lions and hippos. They are the next generation that a friend of mine promised would come to me. Gladly I pass the torch to them. 

One of the nicest things about being 63 is that life is sweet and the things you worry about in your 20’s-50’s just aren’t that important. It is so easy to share One Village with all who want to be apart of it. There was a time when my ego felt I had to make things happen, I was in charge. How silly of me. The universe is always doing what the universe is going to do. It’s only an illusion that anyone makes anything happen. It’s just the universe (or God as I believe) cooperating with us, or maybe we’re cooperating with God.

So I wish Ash and Johanna and Bonnie traveling mercies (as we say in Kenya). And I wait, with great anticipation, to hear how the world unfolds for them. Tonight it feels really great to be part of God’s plan.

Keep the faith y’all.

No comments: