Thursday, February 21, 2008

DreamDeferred



Dream Deferred
by Langston Hughes
What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--
And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or
does it explode?


I have always loved this poem by Lnagston Hughes and its truth rings louder now than ever in my beloved Kenya. Today I am merely letting you read some email I have received from friends. I continue to cry Ombolezza Kenya. Have mercy on Kenya!
We are all praying.

mothermadrigal> wrote:
Daniel,
I have not seen your byline in a good long time. I pray you are well and safe. I have had to postpone my trip until the unrest settles down. It makes me very sad, but I think God would have me here raising money rather than there right now. Francis sent me a note saying he had talked to you and things were better in Kisumu. I pray that is so. Can you give me an opinion of whether the mails are safe now. I got Mama Florence's address and I want to send her money.
When you get a chance write me a line. I pray for all of you and my beloved second home.
God's Grace and Blessings,
Atieno

Hi, thansk for the mail. I have been acting Editor, that explains the abscence of my articles. Mails are safe now, atleastr for the time being. We have learnt to keep hope alive because we cannot give up.
Otieno


Mothermadrigal wrote:
I know you got my short message and now here is a longer one. Because everything here in the U.S is connected by cybetspace I can read both the Nation and the Standard every day. So I am well aware of what is happening in Kenya. I fear it will be a long time before things settle down in Kenya. 2 days ago the Nation reported on the roving gangs of thugs terrorizing people in Kisumu. My friends fro KARI have fled and are now in Butere with no intentions of returning in the near future. I am incredibly sad about what is happening, but understand that it is the natural evolution that all countries must go through to become free. I shall be back, I hope, in September. I hold you all in my heart and yearn to be back soon.
all good things,
stieno

Jambo Susan,
I hope you are fine.me and my Family are ok,even John and his family are fine.I know you are also worried by what has been happening to our nation although our side was not affected with displacements,we are affected by lack of business but its better to sleep hungry than sleeping out.To tell you the truth am glad you postponed coming here on march coz it was scaring to hear what was happening in Kisumu especialy if you come from central kenya.Let me tell you,Tribal wars are evil and whoever preach it evil.anyway,we are now puting the things together and preaching peace among us coz people now know even if we find a political solution we still need peace.Bye for now and all the best.Francis

Mothermadrigal wrote:
I know you got my short message and now here is a longer one. Because everything here in the U.S is connected by cybetspace I can read both the Nation and the Standard every day. So I am well aware of what is happening in Kenya. I fear it will be a long time before things settle down in Kenya. 2 days ago the Nation reported on the roving gangs of thugs terrorizing people in Kisumu. My friends fro KARI have fled and are now in Butere with no intentions of returning in the near future. I am incredibly sad about what is happening, but understand that it is the natural evolution that all countries must go through to become free. I shall be back, I hope, in September. I hold you all in my heart and yearn to be back soon.
all good things,
atieno

How is you today , we are okey and look forward for Gods grace. I came to kARI yesterday to organise my house but was unable since there is so much fear, Rowen couldnt sleep alone in her bedroom, i never imagined these. We trust God for every thin and that has been my prayer, hope Anan will leave kenya better than it has been.Lets continue in prayer

your sister
Beatrice

mothermadrigal> wrote:
Beloved Sister,
I continue to pray and to ache for all of you. Last night I was with an African sister here and we went to hear African music. All I wanted to do was go home to Kenya. Tomorrow I will be in New York City to try and raise some money for the children in our program.
I cannot imagine Kari without you and Mama Wendy and Mama June. But I am a mother and know how important it is to care for your children. I pray you will be able to find a solution to your living situation. I hope the children are both all right and feeling more assured. I read the papers every day (The Nation and the Standard) and must admit the news is bleak.
Please keep in touch when you can and let me know how you are faring. You are in my heart always.
May God Almighty bring you and Kenya safely through,
Atieno

No comments: