Sunday, February 10, 2008

Then There Is Love


Despite the continued horrible news, despite the deaths, the devastation, here and across the seas there is love that remains a beacon. I have been phenomenally tormented by my inability to get anything done of substance for the children. Food supplies are non-existent, I haven’t raised any new money to meet the increasing costs, and in fact we are broke at One Village. And in all of this I have felt the heaviness. Was it only last weekend that I was scurrying around trying to get my friends to safety? And I have not spoken to them this week. Are they safe?
The news in the Kenyan papers informs me that while they are making some progress, the looting, the ethnic killings, the 300,000 refugees, most of them children are still part of daily life in Kenya. I had a Kikuyu friend write me and tell me Hakuna Matada (everything’s fine) in Kenya. Rubbish, but I know he needs the money I bring since he is my driver and he wants it to be better.
Today as I sank into my seat in church (a couple minutes early a miracle in itself) I turned to see a former congregant who was back visiting. She is African and she hugged me warmly and asked me how I was doing. Others came and offered their care and concern. They offered help, they encouraged me to call the church and not go through what I did last week. I knew they meant it, I knew I was home; I knew they cared for the children and the work I do.

This afternoon I had meetings scheduled here at the house. The first was the group I know and call the Peacekeepers. I have written about them before, but a new young soul came this afternoon. What a spark of light she was.Whenever a new one comes in, young or old, there is always room. He/she is always welcome by all of them and they take their rightful place as if we have always been waiting for them. It was wonderful to sit back and watch them share ideas and skills on how to set up a fundraiser for One Village. These miraculous souls who are younger than my own children, so fired up, so capable, so willing and then I remember... There is always love. The very best part of it all is that they feel it too. They leave the meeting energized and excited by what they are doing and by the connections they feel. I feel privileged to be part of this and I know when all else fails, there is always love.

Be Good To Each Other Y'all. MM

No comments: