Thursday, November 27, 2008


Happy Turduken

Ok,so I know it's been a long time since I was here. I have not heard from Monica yet and I'm beginning to worry. Working in Kenya means accepting that planning is neither a noun nor a verb in their vernacular. Perhaps because life is so impermanent, perhaps because they never want to say no...or their out of communication range literally. I'm not sure whether Monica is in the Sudan, laying low or what. I will call her after the holiday.

Which of course brings me to the annual eating festival called Thanksgiving. Because I am one and my children and families are several I always go to them. I don't really understand making people with children enter into the melee at the airport the day before Thanksgiving and then making them return that Sunday. Everyone knows bags are lost, lines are like aerobics in hell, and definitely most flights will be canceled one way or another. However, I digress.

This year we had decided to go out to T.G. Older daughter has had a difficult year to say the least, and didn't need to do the usual fall fandango. We had reservations etc.
However, during one of our weekly chats I told her that I wanted to try a turduken. She admitted that she was also curious about this southern concoction. (It is a boneless turkey stuffed with a boneless duck stuffed with a boneless chicken stuffed with cornbread stuffing). Since I am all about overstatement, I couldn't resist. I'd get a turduken for Friday so we could try it. However you can't get a small trial size turduken...only one that feeds 22. What the heck we could have leftovers..so I ordered it anyway.

You have to order a turduken months in advance and then tell them precisely when you want this edible behemoth delivered to your door. Ours arrived a week before and was huge. It was huge, and my elder daughter was complaining of an overabundance of potatoes. Definitely a change of plans was necessary. So we decided to skip going out and just made everything ourselves. I am pleased that my children share my enthusiasm for overabundance. Some like sweet potatoes with marshmellows, some mashed, cornbread stuffing..but what if we don't like it. No problem, let's make regular stuffing as well. Beans or brussel sprouts why decide make both. The pie is the only thing we had one of, and there were only 4 of us at the table.

We anxiously talked about the turduken, posted it on our Facebook pages and answered rafts of questions from curious people. To say the taste is exquisite is an understatement to the nth degree. However, I googled turduken and found that I could show you all what a turduken is invivo, so I present to you turduken carving. I suggest next year you email Cajun Ed and get your own. Or if you really hurry you can get one for Christmas

No comments: