Sunday, June 7, 2009


Thank God for Cipro

31 May 2009

Thank God for Cipro! Yesterday was spent close to the room and the loo for both of us. However we rallied in time to get off to Nambale by 4P.About an hour outside Nambale I could feel my spirits sing as I knew I was nearing home. I watched the fields change and the shambas start to show up on the side of the road. I watched as the towns grew sparser and the sky became enormous. There is nothing like an African sky, I can assure. I hoped when we got to Nambale Brett would totally fall in love and leave a part of his heart here.

We had dinner with the teachers from the 2 old schools we had been partnering with and Miriam‘s new school. I knew I needed Miriam as part of whatever team I was on. I spent a bit of time catching up on how the schools were doing, since the reports I got were so bare as to be non-existent. I then sold them on KMET and I think they saw the virtue in the partnership. I know both Manyole and Malanga are government or Anglican schools and I am not truly convinced that they own this program. I know the headmasters of those 2 schools were expecting checks.

I explained the program for Tuesday for all 3 schools and told them to come prepared to give an accounting of the progress of the program. I do know that they spent what I gave them in October by December and did not budget so I shall be curious as to what they tell me. I have had mixed feelings about what I should do about money for their feeding programs since they are in non-compliance, and finally at the end of today I figured it out. We shall match shilling or shilling what the parents put in. I‘ll let you know later how much we have to shell out.

This morning we went to Miriam’s school. This is the worst school I have seen so far in terms of what the children have for structure and supplies. However it was built and paid for by the parents and that thrills me. There are no desks or chairs, no books, no windows. There is not cook hut to prepare the meagerest of meals. Miriam has no office, she must sit outside under the veranda. It is the typical Kenya shaft job on Miriam. She was supposed to be headmistress of Manyole which is a large well equipped school, but another teacher from Malanga got the posting so Miriam now has to commute 60km back and forth on a Matatu (van crowded with people) for 15 Km and then rides the second 15 Km on the back of a boda boda (bicycle).

Today was a holiday here in Kenya, so when I saw the one real room packd with parents and teachers, I was extremely impressed. They are serious about working together.. There were the usual songs and dances, the children are quite small and not as polished as the other 2 schools but that lends them a certain charm for their effort.Onec the speeches were over it was my turn and I tried to steer them away from the idea of a donor and towards a partnership. I explained what KMET did and how it helped to empower women. I may have been a bit strong on that idea and shall have to back track. Francis told me on the way home that if the men feel pushed aside they will scotch the entire venture. So with that in mind, while sweating here writing I just sent a message to Miriam that I would also pay for a van of men to come to the shindig tomorrow. No point is pissing people off, which is something I am prone to do from time to time.

Brett was wonderful as he explained about building a bridge from Kenya to America and back. That was a real touch of genius because it once again emphasized we are not donors but partners. I suspect as long as I come here I shall have to do that educating thing. The reassuring part for me is to watch a pro like Monica struggle with the same thing. She, too, is constantly talking about teaching how to fish not giving a fish. I know it is the only way we shall succeed in truly changing the lives of the people here. But I am hopeful.

Doom did not occur. Miriam got everyone in shape, Francis’ car is working well, and tomorrow is the big meeting of the 3 schools and KMET. It is always a walk of faith for me. God wants it that way. However in the end it all gets done and I remember why I was called here. I remember the amazing people and connections that I have made. I see that Miriam belongs at that tiny school since it is only she that can bring it to fruition. They shall be the model. It always goes back to that day outside of Debra Libanos, Ethiopia 7 years ago. There I felt it, be a raindrop, God will bring the rain.

And on that note dear reader I close for today. Tomorrow shall be an eye opener and I hope I am up to the challenge.

No comments: