Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dirt is My Friend

I see my last post was before the funeral I held yesterday. If you go by the house you should see the black bunting. I simply cannot do adequate justice to how I feel about the elections, so faced with the dreadful results I have decided to give you a bit of mirth instead.


                         The last of my ovens, and cabinets. I think that's a tool kit on top

Often people ask me about the conditions in Kenya, and I try to explain about the lack of power, the dust, and things breaking or not showing up on time.  They shake their heads as if they can’t possibly imagine it.

Guess what campers? You’re in luck; I have finally found something here stateside that imitates life in Kenya.  Destroy your house with remodeling that gives you the constant waft of dust and definitely cakes in your hair just like the roads of Nambale.
In particular try and redo the kitchen, the roof and have air-conditioning put in at the same time so that you can have the full flavor of debris.

The kitchen is an awesome example and I recommend cooking until you can cook no more. I, for one, am not daunted by the lack of counter space, nor do I mind scrubbing down things before cooking. I think, though I have met my match and may just have to start going out for some meals soon.


                           Notice the sanitary conditions of the cooking surface


However, last night, I felt the need for a Japanese chicken dish that I have not had in years. Don’t ask me why, these things just come to me at odd hours and I seem to do them. So I marinated the chicken in a plate I found under the insulation. I chopped the veggies with a paring knife I found on the floor (I had used it for opening packages); and found two pans with which to cook. Ooops no sesame oil, no matter, I guess it’s butter. I had anticipated a couple of things and did have a fresh bag of jasmine rice I had hidden in the bureau drawer in the back bedroom and I hid the fizzy water mixer in my bathroom next to the exfoliating cream. 

                                Dinner is almost ready, do come and join me

When all the people, both clients and workmen, left the house I let the kitties out and set to work. Ok, the cook top was at peak capacity but I did manage to get everything into the right pots, finish the deed and take it up to my refuge in the back bedroom. I was pretty psyched until the final part of Kenya hit me.

Alas, when putting in the ducting for the air-conditioning, they had cut the power to the bedrooms.  Ok, of all things we get used to in Kenya it’s lace of power. So I turned to my trusty halogen flashlight, polished off dinner and read my kindle. Thank heavens for batteries.

They say the electrician will be here today, but I’m not optimistic, but it’s ok. It’s raining out and I can pretend I’m at the Blue York in a storm. I’m just grateful I haven’t lost hot water yet.


No comments: