Sunday, January 2, 2011

Home Again Home Again Jiggidy Jig

The first post of 2011. I liked 2010, so I'm thinkin' I'll probably like 2011. May there be grace and peace to all of you this year and a feeling of abundance.

Undaunted by the debacle that was Christmas travel, I am totally looking forward to going back to Kenya in a couple of weeks. Now, in faith, I shall not nor ever will fly British Air so it is easier to be optimistic. Of course Delta is not in the best financial state, but I hope they can pay for the gas and de-icer that it seems BA could not.

For me it's Christmas again. Only the good stuff, not the icky travel of the last week or so. The first box of medications arrived, (amoxicillin, erythromycin, vitamins, antifungals, etc) and there are more on the way. I have a good many bandages and I can't wait for the stethescopes and suture kits. Ah...it's amazing what makes a girl happy. I totally have this nailed as well. I'm going to do my regular condom, dildo packing trick. Meds on the bottom, a layer of clothes, then the condoms and the dildos on top. The customs folks hate it when I shove those things in their faces and they always push me right through. If I didn't do that they would totally hassle me about this shipment and probably want to bag a whole lot of the medications I'm bringing in to sell or use themselves. Ah corruption.

I must say  I am frequently overwhelmed by the faith people have in me. They are generous and kind and they are willing to do whatever to help One Village. This month the generosity has been particularly touching as has the team spirit of the Board of Directors. They are totally amazing in case I haven't said that enough. And they know so much cool stuff that I don't and they know how to do the things I can't. It saddens me to think how many people my age don't have the remarkable young peacekeepers in their lives. They just don't know how philanthropic, kind, creative, compassionate, funny and inspiring they are. 

So I'm whipping out the suitcases, getting my adapters ready,grabbing the dildos and condoms  and hiding the drugs. I am having a hard time waiting. I smell the pungent earth, I hear the cacophony of the animals and the vendors, I see the children running towards me and I taste the ever present grit and smile. I'm going home soon. 

No comments: