Thursday, February 18, 2010

It's a Puzzlement

It’s a Puzzlement

Long ago, when I was a child, a movie came out called The King and I. Yul Brenner played the King and he sang a song called “It’s a Puzzlement” as he is trying to figure out western customs. I often feel the same way when my friends or clients ask me about my trip. The fact of the matter is I don’t know how it will work. I never know if the roads will be in any condition to drive on, whether people will be where I think they will be, and surely I wonder if anyone understands me when I speak, even when I use Kenyan English.

I am fairly sure of the trip to Nambale and meeting with the schools. I do know that Monica Oguttu is in Ethiopia right now and she should be able to make it back in time for Monday morning. I don’t know if Francis has a new car. I’m rooting for that one, since dear readers; if you have followed this blog you know that Francis and his car are a bit dicey. Brett came over last night and chuckled and wished me good luck on the car ride. He had the back seat in Francis’ car, when we went in June. Even his young 30 yr old body was a bit creaky by the time we finished. But it’s ok, better living through chemistry if you get my drift.

The thing that’s really up in the air is my junket through the Sudan to get the Congolese girls. I’m supposed to be meeting some people in Nairobi when I get to the hotel and go over the plans, but I haven’t heard from them. It’s not that I won’t hear from them, it’s just the when that will be a nail biter. Then there’s the whole deal folks have of asking me if I’m taking these kids like the folks in Haiti did. Do they have parents? Since people in the U.S don’t keep up with the workings of the Eastern part of the Congo, I suppose I could forgive them, but really, I’m not into an African jail. These girls can attest to their parents demise since they actually got to watch them get killed by the soldiers before they (the girls) got raped and left for dead. They live in the shadows, hoping not to be raped, yet having to sell themselves to stay alive. They are 14-16 and are already seasoned in the oldest trade, but they must be taken out because they would be sold in Africa if they crossed the border without a passport and a visa. So no I’m not stealing them people, I’m just trying to get a few to a better life (and I can only hope that is so) and bring them to safety. Oh, and I’d like to stay safe as well.

It is my faith that leads me and carries me. Again for so many people they are puzzled by faith and think I’m a very religious person. Not really, I often forget to say grace, I don’t believe that my God is better or different than any other, I don’t want to change their ideas, I just believe that I am cared for by a loving force. And so I begin. The plane is boarding soon. It shall be till Thursday night before I land in Nairobi. Each time I return to my African homeland, my heart starts to skip a beat. Each time is new; each time it all works; each time He is in charge. So for me it’s not puzzlement, it’s how things are.

Keep the faith y’all

No comments: