Saturday, February 27, 2010

Out of Africa


27 February 2010

I am preparing to leave Kenya. My bags are packed; the rumble of thunder can be heard above the crow of the cocks. The Amman is quiet for now and it is time to reflect.

Last night, as I thought about how far we have come; I was totally overwhelmed. From a failing feeding program in Siaya to a strong, community based program that includes feeding, nutrition, sex education, micro-finance and a strong partnership with and agency I cannot laud enough-KMET. We are the talk of Nambale and I suspect soon much of Nambale and Busia District.

Monica and I had time to talk about our impressions of the two days spent in Nambale. She is wise and spot on with her observations. The debriefing with the staff was organized, insightful and optimistic without glossing over the problems. I am excited about the partnership. Monica and I both agreed it is one thing to read a report and another to actually see what is going on. I do hope we can raise enough money for me to come back in 6 months.


There are so many things to recall; the women and Kwihirle dressing me in the green suit (which btw fits better than anything I have stateside) the children with ringworm, the vast horizon of clouds furling their plumes across the sky, the friendship that Francis and I have developed over these past 9 year. (Is it really 9 year??) It is watching Asuke work with grace as he teaches and encourages villagers to learn to save their money or plan a business. It is watching Maureen teach and the round mirth and laughter that emanates from her and always makes me smile. It is dirt roads so rutted that your head feels like it’s going to come off; it is more than I can ever share with you all.


What I really want you to know is how you can make a difference. Do not look at this blog as some amazing story; rather take away that every dollar makes a difference. $6 US will get a girl enough pads so that she can go to school. What is that these days a latte? $2 feeds a child a nutritious meal for 3 months. It’s not huge things; it’s pooling what we have and making a bigger splash. I could never do what I do without all the people who hold me up. I have a board any E.D would be green with envy to have. There is a group of volunteers who help raise the funds, who write the grants, who submit the forms to keep us afloat, who design the website and the list goes on. They are the ones I do it for as well as the women and children I serve here.
They are the Peacekeepers and though you may never meet them, know that they exist and they are making the world a better place.

And that is what I think about as I prepare for the next part of this journey. Thank you all for coming along.

No comments: