Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bearing Witness


I have no catchy title for this. I have no cool photos. This is just something you need to know about, and it’s neither pretty nor unusual in poverty stricken countries. When I started One Village back in 2002, I saw some pretty gruesome medical conditions and visited several “clinics”. A matatu hit a child while I was standing by, and she died in my arms for lack of an emergency vehicle. It had never dawned on me back then, that whole areas of countries would have no emergency transport and that whoever had a car often got called upon as the transport.

This entry needed it’s own special spot and I wasn’t prepared to write it till I had let it all settle within me. Monica had asked me to go with her to the provincial hospital to visit one of the community workers who was in hospital. How bad could that be, after all it’s the provincial hospital? As bad as the open-air clinics were in Siaya, nothing prepared me for this.

want to know more? www.onevillageatatime.org/blog

No comments: