Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lillian Child of AIDS Kenya


I'm back to my abbynormal self. I've been working on this film all weekend. You
need to turn the sound up on your computer. This was filmed from 2004-2005.
It's a sad film, not because of the ending, but because of the conditions that
a person with HIV must undergo in Kenya and elsewhere in Africa. The drugs are
now free, but the transportation to get them is not. So it can cost a person
half a month's pay just to travel to the clinic to get them.

Lillian's mother makes about 1000Ksh per month.In the film she describes the
fees to take the the bus to Homa Bay, it costs them 600ksh. That would leave
the family with 400ksh for the month. As the mother says "It is a struggle
my dear". It did touch the heart of one person over here.
The government doesn't help with these fees. Now think what a
grandmother who is caring for a bunch of orphans does with no money coming in;
How do you look into the eyes of a child and know you can't help them? Maybe
it's one of the reasons no one wants to test the children.
It is only one of the struggles of the children in my village.


I return in a couple of months. I am anxious to get there. It has been far too
long, but I suspect I will understand the wait better after I return. Please
do me a favor and let me know what you think of the film.

Ok and the post script to all of this is that you have to use this link to see
the film, because only OurStage will let me have a 13 minute film. And Blogger
will not let me put in a link so you can click it. So please paste it into
your browser until I get more technically savy. If you do and register at Our
Stage we get $1. Thanks
http://www.ourstage.com/mystuff/WEOQARMYFKFP

No comments: