Thursday, June 19, 2008


No Big Deal

You know it really wasn’t a big deal this cancer/surgery thing. I’m a bit stunned by it all, because they really scare you. Everyone told you and me it was going to knock me out or that it hurts so much can’t walk for weeks, but that didn’t happen. I’m fine and back to my old tricks. We even had bevies on the roof on Sunday.

I think the deal is fear and faith. I think the folks who get overwhelmed with fear get knocked out in surgery. I was waiting for the anesthesiologist before surgery and I had this really warm soft feeling of being ok no matter what happened. I didn’t have a vested interest in the outcome. I was so clear on this one, that whatever was pre-ordained for me was ok, right to living or dying. That may sound weird but it was a great feeling.

So now I’m back to trying to figure out how to get the folks in Kenya to get me their records in correct fashion on time. Ah yes, the paper battle. I wrote up a new spreadsheet and sent it to Charles. He made some revisions, but I am confused since he asked for templates they already have. It reminds me of when I tried to get younger daughter to eat peas, not happening. I have asked for the assistance of Shani, an amazing Masaii chief who is here in the U.S. He totally gets American business ethics and frankly may be of great help in working with the villagers.

When I was recovering, my pastor came over and we talked about the different business ethics of the continents. With Americans business means a level playing field, in Europe it’s the rights of workers…and in Africa it’s always family first. So it seems to me I need a person like Shani who doesn’t worry about offending the Luhya but is loyal to One Village and sees the broader picture. I’m kind of curious to see how Charles reacts when he gets my email with Shani cc’d on it. I’ll let you know.

Keep the faith y’all.

No comments: