Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Homework


Why Do I Blog?

ABout 5 years ago, I joined a dating/over 50 site called Eons. I saw people blogging and thought, given my experiences in Africa that I might have something unusual to contribute so I began this blog called Mother Madrigal Speaks Out. (And if you haven't read Tales from the City by Armistand Maupin you might not understand who Mother Madrigal is, but I bear an amazing resemblence to her)I found that I quickly had a lot of followers which gave me the push to continue

Eons collapsed, but one of the editors encouraged me to continue and so I did for fun. Until I learned how important it could be to the organization I run. Then the focus changed from my rather personal ramblings to what we were doing in Kenya. Blogging might get us more followers and thus more donors.

Now I blog to get the word out on One Village at a Time. While I try to keep the blog personal, there are things I don't express on the blog anymore because it does represent the organization. I'm not sorry it's not personal. I can use twitter if I want to post political ideas or aging ideas. And hopefully when I am done with this blogging course, more people will follow, they will learn more about what we do, and frankly more about what is happening in Africa, a continent that Americans are woefully ignorant about.

Who are my Peeps?
Photobucket Image Hosting
1. My peeps are people I am trying to educate about the plight of girls and women in poverty stricken areas of the world. Particularly East Africa
2. My peeps are young people who donate and are passionate about what we do
3. My peeps are big donors/foundations who see what we are doing and want to help. I have found that Great Non-Profits and Global Giving were hooked through my twitter and blog posts. And I want more of them.
4. My peeps are those who need to know I am alive, so sometimes the posts are up there to let the folks back home know that I am still here.
5. My peeps are the people in Africa who need information and links to help them with the work they are doing in the areas of empowering women and girls.


No comments: