Tuesday, October 30, 2012

One Toe Over the Line Sweet Jesus


One Toe Over the Line Sweet Jesus


That’s a saying we use for folks who don’t want to commit to something. The I’m sort of in, but if I’m wrong, I wasn’t really. Today’s Op-Ed by Richard Cohen in the Washington Post (see link below) was exquisite. The gist of it is that Obama doesn’t seem to care about anything but getting re-elected. I can’t agree more.

The comparison he uses is Bobby and Jack Kennedy, but mostly Bobby. I was a young girl back then and ardently supported Kennedy. They were the dream, and as a bomb throwing liberal Democrat, with a student’s idealism, their caring for the poor, the black, the less educated struck me with a passion to change the world that has stayed with me for 50 years.  I wanted to be better because they challenged me to be.

When Obama spoke at the DNC convention back in 2004,and again in 2008 I felt the same surge of joy that here was a leader I would follow into hell and back. Here was my fallen hero. I was no dewy-eyed college student by then, I was middle aged and yet that same stirring came back. “Yes We Can”.

Over these past four years it’s more like “I’m not sure if we can”. Or “Maybe if everyone agrees we can.” Or “Maybe I don’t care if we can”. And so I could not campaign for Obama as I did in 2008. I will not go to his inauguration if he wins. I will vote for him, because his not caring is better than Romney’s. But he’s got to get that toe on the other side to get my belief back.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/richard-cohen-obama-the-president-who-seems-not-to-care/2012/10/29/a52246a0-21e2-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_story.html


And to give the photographer of the photo above credit: lightwise / 123RF Stock Photo

No comments: