Saturday, January 5, 2008

Correspondence

Daniel and I have been corresponding. I think I am one hope he has that someone is listening and someone cares. I have begun to believe that people don't really care and don't know what's happening. For Daniel and me, I guess, we will have to figure it out one day.The situation in our village is quite dire.Many have fled over the border, but the children and the old ones are left to starve. Every time you visit this site a few pennies are donated to One Village, so I hope you come often.

Here's our correspondence. You don't need any more photos of the horrors of Kenya. That's not the point. Like him, I can only get the word out and pray that some folks read it. And now the voice of my friend:

Hi Susan, I broke down when my work mates packed and left, because they had other homes. For me, Kisumu is my city. Besides if I dont tell the world, who will? I want to do my share then when i decide to move on for further studies, I shall have left a mark..that is all we are in this world to do.

I have just finished writing about the ruins that remain of Kisumu and the tales of human sufferings that mirrors the tragedies in Rwanda. It will be out tomorrow.

I thank God for special people in my life who have risen above the blood and tears to hold me in prayers and to express hope that God is able. Thanks for all the good things that the Lord has revealed in the turmoil. I hope we shall talk more when you come.

Daniel,
I am so sorry for your pain. I cannot imagine what you are going through. If you have only just broken down, that is surprising given what you have seen and lived during this time. I read the Nation the moment it comes out, since I can get it on line and there is a time difference. It is interesting to get reports from people who are economical with the truth like Charles, and others who tell me nothing, like Francis. I have always relied on you to tell me what is real because I know you don't flinch from the truth. i think many of your countrymen are ashamed of what is happening, some are fearful of what the muzungu would think. But as you know Kenya is my heart home and I love its people and beg every day in my blog for folks not to judge Kenya harshly.

Sometimes when I pray to God to ask Him why He gives me a wonderful answer "None of your business, do as I say". I think you and I shall struggle with this for some time. I think one of the ironies is that a Luo really has a shot of being president of my country. I surely pray for that because he is the most able of candidates if you ask me. I shall bring you a copy of his book Dreams From My Father when I come. We must get together for an evening when I am there.

In the meantime, if there is anything you need let me know. I love you as my own son, you know that I'm sure.
May God hold you in the palm of His Hand,
susan

No comments: