Monday, January 14, 2008

Time To Meet The Children

Time to Meet the Children!

I thought it was time you met our children.Bless YouTube for making life easier for us would be cyber buffs.: YouTube is easier.
I haven't been able to get in touch with the teachers today to see what is happening. I have been reading the papers (as usual) and it continues to be dreary. There are reports of Ugandan soldiers being imported for the riots about to begin tomorrow. They are coming across the border in our little hamlet of Busia. They are gearing up in Eldoret and folks are fleeing in droves. Eldoret is a place I once spent a rather dicey evening wondering if I was totally out of my mind doing what I do. The answer, obviously is no.It's all political neither side is blinking yet. As always the poor are stuck in the middle.
Some schools aren't open, others the parents are too frightened to send the children Small wonder!We can't get the money to our schools yet to send the children to secondary school, but given that we are one of the hotspots, I'm not sure how that is working anyway. I'm hoping to get in touch with Charles today. He should be back in Mombassa. Poor man, for him it's a real toss up neither Mombassa nor Nambale are safe. However his family is in Nambale so I'm guessing he's on his way back there.

No guessed wrong, Charles is in Mombassa. We just got off the phone. We were sharing ideas on how to help the schools work together to set up viable businesses. The communication is always a bit difficult since my English is so accented for him and we are always trying to figure out sums in both dollars and Kenyan Shillings. We walk by faith, however, and somehow I know we will get there. I think Charles feels the same way. Parliament opens tomorrow in Kenya and the demonstrations by the opposition are scheduled for Weds. Charles sounded a little worried, which means he's probably a lot worried. He is a man of vast understatement and grace.

However, I wanted you to see what it looks like in happy times. These were taken last spring when I was there. I wanted you to see how much I love this place and these people, and I guess I want you to love them too.

No comments: