Thursday, January 3, 2008

Names on a List

Joseph Odori, Malinda Ndwewe, are just 2 on the new list of the dead. . They are children in my village who were caught in the rioting. They were 11 and 12. Their grandmother was killed, one of our teachers was killed.I never thought I would be posting these names on this list. But the children and the teacher and the grandmother are real to me. I cannot believe this is happening.
I read an interesting commentary in the Standard (other Kenyan newspaper) which tried to explain why the violence.It talked about the levels of poverty and levels of hope being directly linked to the level of rioting. It's a very good explanation of the Luos' frustration at having the highest level of poverty, and the highest level of HIV and the highest hope for change. Their man had a real chance of winning. Indeed the Election Committee in Kenya has said as such. It's not really about this election but the years and years of being under Kikuyu rule and feeling cheated. The fires were already stoked and the match was struck.
Odinga is going ahead with his rally. Many have put pressure on him not to, but he is Luo and angry. I don't think Tutu or any outsider is going to be able to come in and dampen these flames. It's not that simple in Africa. It's not that simple anywhere really, it's just that we hope it would be.
I spoke to people in Busia/Nambale. No one can go out, they fear talking on the phone. All eyes are on Uhuru Park today. Will Odinga keep the promised rally and bring Kenya to the brink of genocide? Hard to say.
There is massive starvation already going on as supplies are shut off and the poorest who live day by day have no reserves to hold them until the next.

I heard briefly from Daniel yesterday. He is a young man weary with sadness and says
"Thanks for the new year message. It is hard to wake up in the morning, to stare in to the eyes of the starving children and view the bodies in the morgue, which cannot take any more bodies.I have hope that one day, the haven of peace and tranquility that the country has been known for over the years. May the blessings of God take you through the new year.

GOD BLESS." Daniel Otieno

My heart yearns to be with my friends over there, but for now I must stay here and get the word out and try and collect money for the multitudes of starving children.We will be flooded at our schools once the rioting stops because we are the only ones feeding the children. If you are so inclined go to our website and contribute. $100 will feed 20 children for a year. Every penny goes to the program since everyone donates their time. Go to www.onevillageatatime.org. And if you can't then please at least pray. One of our head teachers begged for that this morning since she felt there was nothing more I could do right now.

These names are real to me. So I say them aloud I never thought I would have to write these names in this way.Up to now, they were names on a list of children we fed, not names of children now dead.I fear these will not be the last I write.

No comments: