Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Freenie Shack


The Freenie Shack.
I looked over what I had written and it was all a bit heavy. Truly there are some incredibly funny things that happen in Africa as well. On one of my trips a friend decided to come with me. He is an incredibly neat and precise man, but a delight to travel with.
We were on our way to visit another site and I was going to do an AIDS training. We had breakfast and were off.The roads to the the dock looked like something from a bad day in Bagdad. Pius (our driver) kept apologizing, but I just laughed. It’s how it is over there. It took several hours to get to Lake Victoria, then we had to take a long tail boat over and then a few more hours to get to the site.
I really needed to pee. (No way around that). But you see there are no public toilets where we are, that would require a gas station or a restaurant which don't exist where we go. So, I told the driver I needed to go wash up first .He informed me that we were too far from the guest house but I could use the facilities at the site. Ok, I'm game. I’ve squatted in some pretty dicey latrines. Nothing, however prepared me for this.
So...the facilities are located behind this bush. There is no door, just a piece of fabric. And there is a big ole hole in the ground with tons of flying things whirling up like a Hitchcock movie. Well,my companion had no intention of going into that place and having the boys bitten, but I had no choice. Down south we refer to a woman's privates as her Freenie. So me and my freenie hung over the hole and got bitten to death.
Being the gentleman that he was, my friend had brought me some bottled water to wash with, but I was so distracted by the “Swarm”, I just grabbed for the closest water I could find. Unfortunately it was from Lake Victoria and full of flagella. Yeah, that and malaria all in one trip. To this day I can’t figure out how my friend waited so long, but he was in the Air Force for a long time. Maybe they teach you these things.
K you should have seen the size of the spider we tried to kill that night. We needed a tennis racquet and we still missed it. I just took an extra sleeping pill and prayed that spidey would stay where he was and not be too mad at us for swiping at him. I can promise you we don’t travel 5 star!
Ah the joys of travel! And you know, I wouldn’t change a thing and I can’t wait to get back. You can do anything when your heart is in it. I guess that’s the deal.

No comments: