Sunday, January 20, 2008

Color Of My Skin

The Color of My Skin.

I met with some Globonders yesterday. It is a unique organization, which is trying to help all peoples of the planet, develop businesses that will sustain their communities. I am a member and must say that working with folks from all over the world who also know there is a God who guides us was the clincher. These two Globonders want to join me on my next trip to Kenya. Now we all know what is going on over there (you have been reading my blog right?). However they seem like rather intrepid souls wanting to learn all that they can.
K clearly has never experienced third world nasties, bugs and freeny shacks and the thought of shots gives her the willies. C is a cowboy who looks for adventure but can’t imagine not being able to carry a gun when faced with potential physical harm. That’s the least of my worries.
I have taken others over to my heart home before. There is no way they are not profoundly changed by the visit. They marvel at the friendliness of the people, the charm of the children, the Monet like landscapes. Some are a bit aghast at the “hotels” we stay in. I’ve learned to break people in gently. I start them at what here would be a Super 8 with a pool. They’ve just been traveling for over 30 hours and are a bit ragged. They can even get a breakfast they will recognize, though no coffee. Kenyans, folks, don’t drink coffee. They will have to immediately get used to the noise and the guards that keep the compound safe.
I will take them to church the next morning to break them in. We’ll pass Muthare, the infamous slums that are being written about. No you can’t see them on T.V right now, remember Kibaki isn’t allowing live news coverage. They’re pretty shocking though. But KARI is magnificent. It is the Kenya Agricultural Research Institute. The homes there are neat and clean and have electricity. All the tribes are represented there since they bring their training and skills to this place. And indeed everyone gets along. It will be at the noon meal that they will begin their introduction to some of Kenya’s quirks. They will eat food they do no recognize and they will do it with their hands. They will be entranced by the people, and stimulated by the conversation and will feel they have met their African peeps. They will be right and wrong. That’s the deal.
We will return to our hotel and fly off to Kisumu. I have no idea what we will find when we get there. This is where their education will begin in earnest. They will see things that will turn their stomach, break their heart and infuriate them. Nothing, however will prepare them for the skin tax. I have never been with a white person who didn’t resent the skin tax, but it exists there just as it does here in America. We are Muzungu not Mwananchi. Rates at hotels in the countryside, things we buy at the shops, everything is more for us. And man does this seem to piss Americans off.
The usual complaint I hear is that they don’t understand what effect this will have on tourism. Or we’re trying to help them and they’re ripping us off. Yeah and they’re starving and you’re not. I never feel the color of my skin over there, because I accept it in the Karmic tradition and know it is not just in their country but also in ours.
Ah dear reader, you shout how dare I say that. We don’t have skin tax. Oh no, well who do you think is suffering now because of mortgage failures Rich white folks? Think again, it is the poor, the people of color who knew the least about financing the “American Dream” who got talked into those rates that now balloon out of sight. Which kids have the worst schools? Who lives in the worst housing? Who feel the most hopeless in America? Gangs are made up of young kids of color who don’t think they are going to live past 18 so they might as well steal, do drugs, whatever. If you don’t call that skin tax what is it?
So when the intrepid souls who come with me to Kenya in March are stunned when we check into the hotel and our driver pays almost nothing for the same room we will pay all of $22 for, or when we go into the market and pay 5 times as much for a pineapple as the woman standing next to us, I will be sure to remind them of this blog. And I pray they will accept the skin tax with grace as so many are forced to do here in America.
And this in from the Standard today. Gosh this covers everywhere I go. I've got 4 people who are supposed to be coming with me. Well, they're sentient creatures, they'll have to decide for themselves. As for me, I'm going home to my heart home no matter what.



UK travel advisory amended

Published on January 21, 2008, 12:00 am

By Philip Mwakio

The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office has reviewed its travel advisory to Kenya.

It said not all parts of the country were affected by the post-election violence.

The statement named key areas where British citizens should avoid. They include regions worst hit by the violence such as Nyanza, sections of Nairobi and parts of Rift Valley.

In a statement on http://www.fco.gov.uk, the office no longer advises against all but essential travel to Kenya, but essential travel to several parts.

‘We advise against all but essential travel to the following parts of Kenya; Western and Nyanza provinces, Rift Valley Province between Narok and Kitale, the central business district, Kibera, Mathare and Eastleigh areas of Nairobi, Uhuru Park and Mombasa town," reads the statement in part.

However, the office describes the security and political situation in the country as unpredictable.

No comments: