Wednesday, May 7, 2008

OnTheRightTrack


Track 9 ¾
You see it was most necessary that you read about Oz before you could come with me to this new place. How freeing to be rid of the anger and arrogance of Oz. I was now standing on Track 9 ¾ with an extra portkey just in case.
I had set up a meeting with the new Wizard with his secretary whose manner was definitely a Mrs. Weasley type if ever there was one. Eager to reassure me that she would fit me in, I actually had to calm her down a bit and tell her that just as there’s no crying in baseball, there’s no tweaking with cancer and that I felt certain she would find an appointment.

Indeed she did on 30 April, however the very next day the new Wizard himself called to cancel and reschedule. Now first of all I never heard of a Wizard personally calling a Griffindor, Ravenclaw or a Hufflepuff, but indeed he did. He did give me a new appointment that I could not make. Mother M did need to go to Jazz fest and have some bevies after all therefore the following day would not do. Back to Mrs. Weaseley and bingo an appointment on 30 April at a time conducive to all sorts of good things.

I arrived at the castle exactly on time. I was well equipped with my ipod for bible study and music, figuring an appointment at 12:30P was probably going to be a 2-hour wait. Remember I am used to Slitherin Surgeons who think that all they do is so important that waiting for them only means the patients will be more in awe of their importance and stature. I had no sooner settled in, didn’t even get the earphones in place when Weasley called me in. Not in, "take off your clothes, freeze and wait," but right into the inner sanctum. There sat my Sirius, young albeit but definitely out of Hogwarts for a good long time.

I must digress a moment and tell you that both my daughters and I are rather medically savvy. Within hours of getting the news, both had gone to the appropriate medical sites and checked out the surgical options. I went on the Mass. Medical website and checked out the credentials of the potential candidates and definitely liked the looks of the new Wizard. I even read some of his publications.

So, we’re chatting away, Sirius and I, he shows me all the drawings, discusses the statistics and says something about a second opinion. I looked him dead in the eye and asked him why would I want that. He sort of choked and referred to people questioning him about his age and I told him I figured him for 39. (Mother can do math, and I knew when he graduated from the various schools and fellowships). He told me he was going to be 40 next week I asked him how he was doing with that and he smiled saying “Wow you really understand.” Instant comrades. Hired him on the spot, much to his surprise. Hey why waste time when you’ve got a nice Wizard?

Next move into the exam room and then set up the op date. Mrs. Weasley tried to move the schedule around a bit to make it sooner and I once again reiterated that we’d get the job done. She told me I was her new best friend when I agreed to 29 May instead of 22 May (ah beginning of the long weekend. What ever happened to Memorial Day on 31 May I’ll never know. And this year it would have actually been on the right day).

Signed the papers, set up the other tests, got the pre-op date and was done in 1 hour. I felt like a glass of pumpkin juice was definitely in order. The only thing that made me sad was that Weasley and Sirius were shocked that I took them on right away. I guess they are used to tire kickers and he’s used to being passed over for more senior folks. Frankly I’d far prefer someone his age who has steady hands, knows the latest, and actually calls the patients himself. Yeah, definitely good to be in the Castle. It’s like I get to go to the banquet and leave the whumping willows behind. Yee Haw!

Keep the faith y’all

No comments: