Friday, May 23, 2008

TheNewOz


Hey, cool photo isn’t it? It’s the new Oz/Hogwarts. I’m on my way, and here’s the next part of the journey.

I have this odd perspective on what is about to happen. I know surgery is less than a week away, but I’m pretty cool with it. Perhaps you have to get to a certain age, or have been sick enough times to know that it’s part of life. The way I see this is that the surgery is going to really mess me up for a couple of weeks. I found out that it’s a long procedure (4-5 hours) cuz they can’t see too well in there if they do it laproscopically.

Now remember I hired the wizard because he could do it that way, but it does mean I will be under for a long time. And that plus all the digging and cutting is going to leave me pretty dinged up. When you think of it though, you just sleep through it, when it’s done it’s too late and eventually you heal. I’m not sure l I understand all the consternation people have over it.

I’ve also been struck by the reactions of a few people. Some start to cry, or get silent. Hey I’m not planning on dying, but they look at me as if I’m already a goner. I’m lucky my cancer can't compete with what our august senator from Massachusetts has. And frankly if I did I wouldn’t play pac-man with it. At that age, I’d just have a great time till it was done. I believe in quality not quantity, I’m not jonesing for the captain of the Olympic Living Team. (There are a couple other teams involving either vodka or bourbon that I might want to at least try out for).

I was with someone from church the other night. Her husband works in Zimbabwe. She was talking about my faith, and I stopped her. Yes, I have a good deal of faith that I will be exactly where God wants me when it’s time to go, but the deal is for people like Enos and me, we’re just not afraid of dying, and we figure we’ll be on time for the event when it comes. (And by the way, I'm not in the ballpark with Enos when it comes to tenacity and faith. I'm just a little faithling)

My daughter will update this blog when I’m a bit non-compus mentis. But keep the faith ya’ll, and if you can; remember it’s about walking humbly with Him, not always getting your way or making it happen.
See ya on the other side of the rainbow.

No comments: