Tuesday, September 30, 2008


I'm Good To Go

Bags are packed, condoms cover the contraband computers I am bringing for a couple of girls in college over in Kenya, and I'm just trying to figure out how to come in under weight. The thing that always weirds me out is that folks who don't know what I do, and those that do always tell me to have fun or have a great time. If ever there is an example of other people's thinking that's it. See they have no clue that there is nothing about what I do over there that's fun (well maybe that half day at the pool). They see Kenya as this exotic place from "Out of Africa "or the "Flame Trees of Thika." But the movie I see is "Poverty and Disease in Nambale." Or The Contaminated Waters that Kill". I sleep in truly appaling conditions for an American when I'm in Nambale. The mosquito netting is black with filth and the bed is creepy. I finally got smart and bought a pillow to take with me. Oh and that is a photo of what passes for a bathroom in the guest house I stay in. However, there is beauty in the smiles of the children, the dancing and singing, the vast skies that stretch forever. But fun is not what it's about, it's about purpose.

I'll be keeping a journal which I will post as I can. And now for my latest dig at Sarah Palin. I can't believe I'm going to miss the debate, since it's going to be like watching Young Frankenstein. Only the funny parts won't be scripted. Here's tonight's rendition. Don't know what I would do without Talking Points Memo. com. Do check this one out. Seems she can't even remember what newspapers she reads, probably because USA Today is too hard to say. Ha! Talk to you on the other side.

http://tpmtv.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/sarah_palin_all_your_news_are.php

No comments: