Friday, September 5, 2008



Ok, Mother has settled down from the hilarity of the RNC and now must get back to the real business, One Village. It has been more than an incredible nail-biter, I am so tested as to my faith and desire to see this through. I want to quit at least on a weekly basis.
There is an old post somewhere that recounts the fact that my family are psychiatric lemmings, and while I watch from a safe distance there is a real desire to quit. This morning, however, I heard from both micro-loan groups in Kenya. Nothing solid, mind you, but enough to give me hope that I shall meet at least one of them in Kenya the first week in October.

I have finally been able to work things out with Francis, we have a tentative schedule, and bless him, he understands it can change at any moment. It's great having him since we have become friends and he's also a photographer a real plus. I have decided to drive across the Rift with him instead of flying. I want to take more of the countryside into my body and rub it into my pores.The great Rift of story and fable, breadbasket of Kenya, I want to be in it if just for a few hours. (It will also save me the airfare to Kisumu which would be good as well.)

So I sent my schedule, wrote the loan people and then turned to the Standard to read the papers. Oh, seems Kisumu has not settled down since the riots, in fact they're still rioting. And I'll be spending at least one night there so I can meet with the loan folks. Yeah, well, this is where memories of Eldoret come into view and I'm just going to go on faith. Eldoret was clearly the most terrifying night of my life. It's always good to know you've got that under your belt so whatever happens you won't be that scared. I'm actually getting excited to get back home to Kenya.

I'm going to have to put a couple schools on probation, challenge all 3 of them, and see where the next step takes me. But with Phillip as a guide as to what is possible,and Francis to protect me, I am more firm in my resolve and believe we can pull this off. But Francis, I'm glad you've got dark windows just in case....

Keep the faith y'all

And Now for the News:This is from the Standard the Kenyan paper

Police battle rioters in Kisumu over kiosks demolished


Updated 21 hr(s) 47 min(s) ago

By Kepher Otieno and Winsely Masese

Several people were injured as traders protesting the demolition of kiosks battled police.

The rioters in Kisumu stoned motorists and disrupted business in the morning incident, prompting police to fire in the air.

Police also used tear gas to restore order in the town, which has not recovered from post-election violence.

Traders light bonfires along a streets as they protest against demolition of kiosks by the municipal council in Kisumu on Thursday. The council claimed the traders had erected the structures illegally. Photo: Titus Munala/Standard

The more than 100 traders were protesting against the demolition of their kiosks at a bus park by municipal askaris.

They claimed they had lost goods worth Sh10 million. The council had used bulldozers and askaris to flatten the kiosks as police kept vigil to keep off looters.

However, the traders claimed the askaris looted goods before flattening the kiosks.

"They were on a looting spree. They also attacked and injured watchmen guarding the premises. It was savage," said a local civil rights activist, Mr Audi Ogada.

Important meeting

Kisumu Mayor Sam Okello and Town Clerk Joshua Kutekha could not speak to the media.

"We are in an important meeting. We will talk to you later," Mr Kutekha told The Standard on phone.

The traders accused the council of effecting the demolitions without giving them an eviction notice.

Rioters lit bonfires along the busy Nairobi Highway, and Kakamega and Busia roads to block motorists from accessing the town.

They cordoned off the bus park junction along the Kisumu-Nairobi highway and stoned motorists who dared go past the illegally mounted roadblocks.

Police had a hectic time controlling the mob.

The Standard and KTN crew covering the riots fell victims after their car was stoned and its windows smashed near the Kisumu District Hospital.

Even as police lobbed tears gas, the crowd seemed undeterred and fought back. They engaged police in running battles.

Court proceedings were disrupted for three hours as the rioters walked to the council. Kisumu Town West MP Olago Aluoch and DC James ole Seriani were also caught up in the melee as they tried to calm them.

No comments: