Monday, September 8, 2008


To Drive or not to Drive

Hey just saw Hamlet 2, definitely worth the price of admission. But in this case I'm thinking more of Hamlet 1. I have this great desire to drive the rift. When Francis heard he wrote me and said, great now you can see how horrible our roads are. Yeah and then I read my handy Standard today which informs me that there is phenomenal famine in the Rift. I've just read the Alchemist, so maybe these are signs, but I'm not sure. I've never felt compelled to drive the Rift so maybe that's the sign. I am meeting with a woman from Kiva at the end of my trip, so that's a total victory.

Met with Phillip on Saturday as well as the new board. What an amazing group of people.Phillip really made me see the changes that need to be made in the program, and I know he's right. I'm just not competent at writing grants so I'm going to have to pray for that one. And the board, well they just made me weep with joy. They can dream and think large, and they can also hold my feet to the fire. So all in all I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

I had an interesting skype conversation with a friend in Nairobi today. She loves it and is ecstatic over its diversity, nightlife, cosmopolitan nature, but feels the under currents. She's white. My friend Phillip is so relieved to be here in the US because he says he is no longer afraid to walk home from the T at night. In Nairobi
(often called NightRobbery) my African friends do not feel safe and do not venture out at night. So what's real, I suspect both experiences.

And should I drive the rift or fly. I'll let you vote. I would get some spectacular photos ....the car could break down and we could be robbed...i'd love to see the countryside...whatever...hey francis what do you think????

Keep the faith y'all

No comments: